Friday 13 June 2008

Friendship and love

I've just finished watching Honey and Clover. A Japanese anime (no, I'm not an anime freak, but I do watch them; some are really nice) about friendship, love, and relationships. 

I'll admit. One of the reasons why I like it is because it has romantic (the sad kind of romance which makes girls cry; I find it difficult to understand why the female species love scenes which make them weep, despite the fact that it gives a negative effect - it makes them weep *duh* - but I guess I'm not in the position to criticize because I'm one of those females) elements and is really, really touching. 

Yes, it may be a little typical (a guy likes this girl, who likes another guy, who likes another girl, who, in turn likes yet another guy) love triangle kinda thing, but still. 

That's what makes the show so addictive, isn't it?

It's also about friendship. About five college students, who are always together, and how they all get tangled up in their love lives (doesn't help when two best friends end up liking the same girl), but still stick together though thick and thin. They have sleepovers, don't hesitate to raid each others' fridges without permission, drop by unannounced, treat each other to meals, throw random parties, go on trips, tease each other and have fun arguing with each other (sometimes getting a little violent).

In short, they're your typical carefree, young, and energetic college kids who are enjoying their lives to the fullest. 

It's weird how one of the females in the show keeps crying over her unrequited love though...

You could say I kind of envy them, which would also explain why I love watching it. 

Why? 

They have one of the greatest values. 

Friendship.

To any of my high school friends reading this, I'd just like to tell you guys that I'll never stop loving you. I'll always remember the happy times we had together at school. Breaking school rules, cam whoring, partying, picking on the juniors, gossiping, and rushing last minute assignments.

Those were the times...

Will I be able to enjoy myself in university like the students in Honey and Clover? Will I be able to find real friends who will care for me and stick with me through thick and thin?

I look forward to a new beginning. I feel excited yet nervous when I think of how my university life might turn out.

I really wonder.

I'm currently watching Honey and Clover Season 2. 

***

I always thought it'd be impossible to fall in love with an online person.

I mean, how would you know if he is what he portrays himself to be, since you haven't actually met him in person yet?

However, come to think of it, even people you meet in real life hide behind invisible masks.

Eventually, it doesn't make much of a difference whether you meet a person in person or online.

Either way, the probability of being cheated will always be there.

I had always thought girls who fell in love with online friends were either lacking of common sense, or just plain stupid.

So...

Why am I desperately checking my MSN contacts every now and then for the 'insignificant online friend' I met from some stupid dating site? Why do I find myself thinking about him so much when he isn't online? Why am I so tempted to talk to him every single time his name appears in my contacts?

What the hell is happening to me?

Somebody, please wake me up.

P.S. 1 : Yes, I signed up at a dating site, OkCupid. No, I'm not that desperate; I was just wondering what was so fascinating about dating sites, which so many singles flock to. So I thought the best way to find out was to try it out myself.

P.S. 2 : Dating sites are so not my thing. 

P.S. 3 : Apparently, this 'insignificant online friend' of mine is currently studying in Nanyang Technological University, which, coincidentally, is also the university I'm going to attend soon. We did sort of make some plans to meet up when I get there...

P.S. 4 : Shit. As I was just typing the final word of P.S. 3, he came online. And my heart skipped a beat. Not a good sign.

P.S. 5 : I should stop this habit of writing so many PS-es (post scripts), or else it'd eventually lose its significance.

P.S. 6 : This will be the final post script, I swear. I just wanted to add that regarding this 'insignificant online friend' of mine, its nothing to be concerned about. Beloved readers, don't freak out. I won't fall blindly in love. Promise.

P.S. 7 : I know I mentioned that the previous post script would be my final one. But I changed my mind and decided to add a seventh. Just for the fun of it. 

No comments: