Thursday 16 July 2009

holiday antics

To many people holidays are not voyages of discovery, but a ritual of reassurance.
-- Philip Andrew Adams

As of the final week of my 3 month break, I have:

1. Not trained myself in DotA.
2. Read the first page of my Fluid Dynamics lecture slide, which says that pressure is the equivalent of mass divided by volume. Woo hoo. I actually learned something in preparation for my second year of Mechanical Engineering course.
3. Read 5 Shin Chan comic books.
4. Watched Ouran High School Host Club, Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae, and a few more Studio Ghibli animes.
5. Taught myself how to solve a single face of the rubix cube.
6. Read a love novel called P.S. I Love You.
7. Taught myself how to use command prompt and MS DOS, with lots of trials and errors. Trust me, it wasn't easy.
8. Taught myself how to enhance my own facial features using Adobe Photoshop.
9. Solved a Sudoku puzzle.
10. Used a minimal amount of my brain.
11. Procrastinated.
12. Watched TVB dramas on Astro On Demand.
13. Completed Harvest Moon: Innocent Life on my PSP.
14. Gave up playing Breath Of Fire 3 on my PSP.
15. Learnt that dinosaurs ran at the speed of approximately 40 kilometers per hour. Thanks to my enlightening trip to Genting Highlands.
16. Celebrated my birthday 3 times.
17. Shopped a lot and spent a whole lot of cash. Also added some new items to my already bursting wardrobe.
18. Visited my grandmother.
19. Downloaded some really, really, really old games developed by Maxis - Remember Sim Ant (1991), Sim Town (1995), Sim Tower (1994), etc - in the early 1990's, and learnt how to use emulators to run them, because Windows Vista is eons and eons way too advanced for MS DOS based games.
20. Downloaded some Nintendo NES games - ahh, those good old late 1980's games; who can ever forget Contra (1987) and Circus Charlie(1984); they're my favourites - and an emulator for it.

You have GOT to try out those good old games developed in the 1980's and 1990's; they may be old and unatttractive, what with those shitty graphics, but they're real classics and there's something in them that these new generation computer games will never have.

For those who are old enough to have experienced it before (especially if you're already in your 20's), you know what I mean.

May the legacy of old NES and DOS games live forever.

No comments: