Wednesday 23 December 2009

The 90's didn't exist 10 years ago.

You know you're growing old when you find that new emerging singers are starting to get younger than you.
-Rae-

I remember there was a time when I looked up to artists and singers for two reasons.

One, they were popular, and gorgeous, and rich, and famous, and made great music, and were idolized by everyone.

Two, they were older than me.

Now, if I were their senior (which also implies that I'd have more life experience than they did), it'd be a different story altogether.

I just googled Pixie Lott and found out that she's a year younger than me. I know this shouldn't be such a big deal; young talents do appear once in a while, but...

I. Am. Getting. Old.

Okay, technically everyone gets old, but you get what I mean.

People whom I used to like; Britney Spears, Spice Girls...

They're getting ancient and I don't know if I could get myself to swing towards middle-agers.

My point is, when I was younger, I used to think that these young adults, being rich and famous and all... they're worth looking up to.

But now, I'm there. I'm that young adult. I'm that idea of the person my younger self used to wish she were.

My time was the "in" time, but now new singers are emerging and my time has become "The 90's".

In the 90's, there was no such thing as "The 90's". Sure, there were oldies such as the 60's, 70's, 80's... But there was no 90's. There was just... Now.

It used to be the 'in-thing' to love those hits like "There You'll Be" and "Hit Me Baby One More Time" but now, it's like telling people you love The Beatles.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, it feels different.

It feels different that from now on, the people whom I look up to, the people whose music I listen to, they're getting younger and younger, and at a point, it's gonna go way below my age and well, I have to admit that I hate looking up to people younger than me.

It's different that my mother was supposed to be the one listening to the 80's and me the "in" music, but now even I'm beginning to love music from the 90's.

Which was "in" 10 years ago, not now.

It's one thing to be able to claim that you've got more life experiences than others younger than you, it's another to be reminiscing over "oudated music", because that's what old people do.

No comments: