Tuesday 15 February 2011

Valentine's

"Maybe we should not hold hands just for today, so that people will stop asking you to buy flowers/gifts for me."
-Me to Kevin-
The lengths some people would go to.

So it was V-day again.

People keep asking me, "How are you going to celebrate V-day with your boyfriend?"

To that, I always give the same old response:

Valentine's Day is just another normal day. Why should I celebrate it? It's a day where ALL couples profess their love for one another, a day where ALL couples celebrate it as their special day. Why would I want to make a day special between my significant other and I, when it's so common that EVERYONE ELSE is making it their special day?

Birthdays are special, coz it's that one special day that you were born. Anniversaries are special, coz it's that  one day that you were officially girlfriend/boyfriend.

Valentine's Day, on the other hand, is not special, coz every other couple is celebrating it.

Over-priced flowers, over-priced chocolates, over-priced everything.

Of course, Kevin did suggest that we go out for a meal, seeing as it was Valentine's Day after all. Plans were canceled, though.

Not that I mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Valentine's Day. I just don't observe it. That is not to say my boyfriend is not allowed to give me gifts/flowers/chocolates or take me out for a nice date; it'd be sweet of him to do so, but even if he didn't, I wouldn't mind.

Today, at school, I observed many guys with flowers in their hands; and though I personally don't celebrate V-day, I still think they're sweet for carrying flowers just to gift them to their girlfriends, and not minding at all being caught carrying flowers in public.

Guys-who-carry-flowers-in-public-and-don't-mind-being-laughed-at-because-they-love-their-girlfriends-too-much FTW!

No comments: